Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’m always making something here in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Oct 20, 2022

Caught the Sewing Bug!

It seems my craft preferences change with the season and lately I’ve been hit with the sewing bug. 

I had started a “quilt by the month” quilting pattern by Suzy’s Sitcom, and then almost got it finished when I grew tired of it. I finally picked it up again this summer, completed it and posted it on this blog. 

After that I made a softie, a pillowcase, doll clothes, bowl cozies and a mugrug. Now I find myself looking at free and paid sewing patterns all over the web.

I’ve also reorganized my craft space and added a separate sewing area. I think I’m in for the long haul.

To catch myself up I’ll share what I made with links to patterns and sites I used. The completed quilt is in the post below.

The Gerald the Giraffe softie was a pattern I purchased from Sweet Briar Sisters on Etsy.  Isn’t he just the sweetest? This was fairly easy to make, but follow the directions closely. 



Then I found a free pattern for a pillowcase with French seams from Treasurie. You roll this one up like a burrito, and in the end there are no raw seams. The instructions are provided at the link. 

This one is for one of my granddaughters, and is folded twice, but you get the just of it. Oh look- there’s Gerald again.


Next I decided to make doll clothes for 18” dolls. I used a free pattern for both pieces.

Shorts pattern by Lelesdesign. The link to the pattern is below the video.


This was fun to make but the fabric was a bit stiff. The closure is Velcro.

Lydia’s Sweetheart Doll Dress by PA Country Crafts  The instructions and pattern are included. 


I haven’t finished the hem on this one yet. I had to order a rolling hem foot which has now arrived. I hear it’s a bit tricky to master, so I’ll practice first. Cute little pattern, and easy. 

If only I had an 18” doll to check the fit on!!

Did I mention I used to do piece work for a childrens clothing company called Rainbowear? This brought back happy memories. I can’t wait to try reversible coats and jackets for these dolls. 

Then I moved onto some Quilted Bowl Cozies. I used a pattern off of Craftsy. I made two of these. They’ve come in pretty handy already. 


Last but not least I decided to make a mug rug. This little mugrug pattern is my own. It’s for my granddaughter who loves to bake. 

In hindsight I should have made an apron, oven mitt and a mugrug with this fabric, but there isn’t enough of it left now. I found the pillowcase pattern first, so I made it first. Maybe I’ll make her a set at a later date. 



I might turn the pattern into a pdf if I can figure out how. I’ve done digital stamps, so it can’t be that much more difficult.

Thank you for popping by today. Hopefully I’ll be back soon with more to share. Have a great weekend!

Blessings,
Carmen
PS: Check the side-bar…seems everyone is looking for Christmas ideas already!

2 comments:

  1. What a great selection of sewing projects Carmen - the giraffe is such a sweetie, and I have clicked through to the quilted bowl cozies - my SIL uses them, and I have long wanted a pattern
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I’m so glad you found a pattern you could use. They are so handy! I use ours 2 or 3 times a week!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments!