Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’m always making something here in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Nov 11, 2023

Retro Flash!

Hello,

As promised I’m sharing a few blocks from my Retro Flash applique quilt which is a work in progress. This quilt has only 9 blocks and these are the first three I made. I will be securing the edges of the applique with a zig zag as well, but for now I’m getting everything in place. 

This block takes place at the Drive-in movies!  I have memories of almost driving away with the speakers still inside the car and having to back up to place them back in their holders. Some people snuck in extra friends in the trunks of their cars; plus who can forget the snack bar where you could get all kinds of goodies? Those were the days, but by the time I experienced them it was about 22 years later! I loved putting together this block. So much detail!


Next, the old time diners, but those that had drive thru’s were a new thing!


This block really goes back to before my time. A waitress came out to deliver your food in roller skates. Imagine the skills they needed. The trays attached to your drivers window which had to be open to hold them. A little chilly some days perhaps, but oh, the nostalgia of it all. 


I’m working on the next two blocks already. One is bowling, and the other is a jukebox.  I have received my next block for the Tweet as Honey quilt, so once I complete these two I’ll start on it too. I’m finding that I enjoy working on more than one quilt at a time as I get bored easily. 

I noticed these pictures are a bit dark, so I apologize for that, but it’s 4:30 and with the time change I forget how quickly it gets dark out now! Hopefully the next lot will be a bit brighter. 

Stay tuned for more quilt block fun coming your way! And yes, hands off my scissors!!!
Thanks for stopping by!
Blessings,

Carmen

4 comments:

  1. What fabulous blocks, Carmen - loving the retro vibe and the fabulous 'shapes' that were so 'on trend' at the time!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maxine! It’s been a fun one to work on so far!!

      Delete
  2. Your post was a joy to read. Thanks for making the topic so accessible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments!