Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’m always making something here in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Jul 19, 2021

Update and Gemstone Faceting by the Mr.

With all that is going on in the world, I’m sure many aren’t aware that BC is once again burning. The nearest ‘out of control‘ fire is about 25 km away from us, and there’s fires burning all around. So that means smoke! Lots of smoke! Which also means staying inside. I am so grateful we had central air put in about two years ago, because the temperatures reached 50C for a couple of days, the high 40’s for at least a week, and now we’re in the mid 30’s (95F to 122F, if you’re wondering). So yea, a tad hot - - tinder dry - - and burny. I made that last word up because it’s true. 

Therefore, I’ve been doing lots of reading and keeping myself busy with random things. So this will be a really random post of the few things I’m working on. 

My ‘quilt-along‘ quilt is coming along nicely. There is some sashing to do and one more small block, then free motion quilting, but it’ll be done soon. 


I’ve also been making cards. The first set is watercolor with doodles. The last card is cut out designer papers with doodles. I love doodling. 









Those of you who follow my blog know I’ve been delving into herbs and oils. They’re coming along nicely, but slowly. I made a hot flash oil and a oil for dark circles under the eyes that I showed you last time. 


This is an antihistamine salve. Good for bug bites, allergic reactions, etc. it smells so nice.


This is a cayenne oil I made for using in salves. It’s bright red, but hard to see.  It’s been moved into an amber colored bottle for keeping. 


These are my dandelions from today that I’m drying.  


My basil, peppermint, chamomile and calendula are also drying.


My aloe Vera has been split into two pots since taking this photo. Here is an example of a failed attempt at a sunburn salve. I used the aloe Vera from the plant, but I didn’t break it down enough and you can see chunks of aloe in the salve. It smells amazing and will probably still work, but I’m not happy with it so will do it again. 

Honestly though, I’m loving playing with this. I’m still learning about herbs and can’t wait to make more.

Take a gander at this photo of my echinacea plant. Isn’t she gorgeous? She got some watering just before the photo was taken, so she’s a bit shiny. 


Last but not least, I want to show you my husbands hobby. Since retiring this year, he’s spending more time on faceting stones. He’s been buying gemstone and man made rough for years and so he has lots of material to work with. He also buys old silver jewelry and settings. 


This is a man made opal he cut and put into a silver ring he made for me.


Check out this ruby. It was a gift for a friend, I love this cut. 


Here’s another one he cut. My birthstone is emerald, but this is made from YAG,
 It is a yttrium aluminum garnet.


Here’s something most people don’t see. 
It’s a stone he cut along with one of the bules he cuts them from, a cobalt blue spinel.

 

This little beauty is an amethyst he cut. He’s a pretty talented guy! 

Well, that’s it for today. My random mix of crafts. I hope you’re all having a creative summer too.

Blessings,
Carmen

10 comments:

  1. Wow, you both are so talented. Loved seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an eclectic post Carmen, and I loved it. Your quilt is looking amazing, and the cards are beautiful. Those gems are exquisite.
    That heat sounds horrific, and the fire terrifying - I knew the US was burning, but had not heard Canada too.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maxine! Hope you’re doing well too!

      Delete
  3. So many wonderful things to see here, Carmen. Your quilt is cheerful and fun. Your cards and watercolour elements are gorgeous. Your husband's jewelry work is stunning, and what fascinating things you are doing with plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I love trying different things, but I love them all, so I have to choose what to stick with, and that’s hard! Lol!

      Delete
  4. Remarkable! Its really amazing article, I have got much clear idea about from this paragraph.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!