Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’m always making something here in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Jun 25, 2021

Backyard Foraging

I’ve just come in from my garden bringing small handfuls of flowers to dry. Gosh I’m having so much fun! I’m so happy my husband is a good gardener, because I’m not, but I’m loving the fact I can do something with the plants. It’s like foraging, but just in my yard. I may be kind of a fake forager but hey, why go somewhere else if I don’t have to?

So here’s some of what I’ve been gathering. I labelled them for you In the photo. I’d already bottled the rose hips, but those tiny flowers are wild roses. They smell heavenly but they’re pretty small. I picked those yesterday morning so they’re partially dry already. 


All of these things will be made into either oils, tinctures, salves, teas or Potpourris. 

I decided to make a couple of things while I’m waiting to gather up my botanicals. Below is an eye serum, and a hot flash roller. 

I started getting hot flashes at 50, and I’m still getting them. The hot weather doesn’t help and tends to set them off, as does wearing a mask, oddly! This stuff seems to be working pretty well for me!


The eye serum is to help with dark circles under your eyes. Mine aren’t that bad, but I’d rather use something natural that’ll resolve the issue than slather on a bunch of chemicals. I guess the caffeine stimulates and gets rid of the darkness. 

I always knew coffee was good for me. Hahaha

I will add the recipes for these two near the bottom of this post. 

In the meantime, our heat arrived a month early - - - I am so thankful for central air!! All our igloos have melted now. 

That’s a joke, for those of you who may be wondering. 😂 Not a great joke, but I try. 


So, I am slowly filling up jars and enjoying the thought of doing something with them. I’m scouring through my herb books daily, learning and trying to retain the information, which is almost overwhelming but super interesting. 


You’re probably wondering about the egg shells. I’m thinking about making my own toothpaste because I don’t like the fluoride they put in the store bought ones - - - and I know you can buy them without, but they’re a small fortune and I can make it myself so much cheaper.

The blue spruce needles are for tea (from the tree in my backyard) as are the rose hips. Both have amazing qualities and are good for you. 

I’m going to have to go forage in the backwoods for the pine needles I want for teas. I have to convince my hubby to go with me because there’s bears in them thar woods - - - although we’re more likely to run into deer, to be honest. 

Speaking of animals, my son named one of his chickens after me. I feel honored - - - I think. He says the chicken will provide for him (eggs) like I’ve provided for him most of his life. Of course, that’s a stretch because he left home at 18 and he’s 38 now. (I hope you’re all really bad at math. Let’s pretend I had him at  10 yrs..........actually, no, that’s bad too). Never mind. 

Anyway, here’s the recipes for the Eye Serum: 


And the recipe for the Hot Flash Oil:
 

I hope you’re all having a wonderful day!
Blessings to you and yours!

Carmen

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post Carmen - I am definitely looking at the eye serum recipe, thanks for the link :) Thankfully my hot flashes are pretty well gone now... but they took a while, and I still have the occasional one .
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!