Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’m always making something here in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Oct 6, 2020

Sweet Potato 3 Cancer Challenge

Good Morning,

It seems I'm up early this morning as I couldn't sleep. I feel great inspite of it, but we will see as the day progresses. I may need a little cat nap later on. Lol. 

As I lay there awake I thought I should post about Sweet Potato 3's Cancer Challenge. Are you a crocheter? If you are, you may not be aware of this sweet deal. Every October for the last 17 years, Christine at Sweet Potato 3 has been hosting a Cancer Challenge to make hats for people who have gone through cancer treatments and need to keep their heads warm. I have been participating in this challenge for the past 3 years. I pledge my hats to the Royal Inland Hospital Cancer ward in Kamloops every year. 

How it works:

Christine lines up a group of crochet designers for October every year who create a hat pattern. Most patterns are free for 24 hours provided you pledge to donate one or more of the finished hats to cancer. Every day of the month a new hat is offered, and two on Saturday. Some of the patterns are free for the whole month, so if you decide to participate, you may still find some of the last 5 are free and available, but again, only if you pledge one or more of the hats you make from that pattern. Of course, you're free to make more hats to gift or use for yourself. 

I usually pick out a few hats that I want to make and pledge at least one of each. I've done up to 12 or more different patterns a year and donated many. Some people do every one that is offered. Needless to say, I have a lot of hat patterns.

So if you like to crochet, I'll leave you the links and a photo of the last hat that was offered. If you get here quick enough, you may still be able to get it for free. She lists all of the ones for this month at the bottom of her post. 


I downloaded the Waves of Hope hat yesterday. This sweet, soft looking hat was designed by Christine herself. I think it's absolutely adorable! Just remember to put the code in before completing your purchase and it will show up as free. Then put it through and save it in your files. This one came with a little video how-to as well. I've learned a lot of new stitches by participating in this Challenge over the years. It's been fun!


Sweet Potato 3 also has a Facebook page. I find that's a great way to never miss any new posts while the Cancer Challenge is on. 


So if you like to donate some of your creations, this is perfect and it helps so many!! I see the 6th hat has been posted so go have a look! It's an adorable warm looking hat designed by Sara and Helen at  Sunflower Cottage Crochet for free in exchange for your pledge to make and donate one hat to a cancer patient or center! There are some really cute patterns on their page as well!

I can tell Fall is settling in. My crochet hooks are calling, and so is my sewing machine....I will be posting some super cute quilt blocks soon (I'm chomping at the bit waiting for my fabrics to arrive).

See you soon,


Blessings,
Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments!