Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’m always making something here in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Oct 12, 2020

Refreshing Old Coasters - Fun, Quick and Easy!

A few years ago my daughter-in-law brought me a couple of cute little coasters that came from the Real Deals Home Decor store where she worked in town. Real Deals is a really neat store because it has the most interesting things to look at, both large and small pieces. Every time you go in there it's a cornucopia of goodies to behold, but I'm not here to promote them. I'm here because I want to show you what I did with the little coasters she bought me. 

Over the years they just got worn out and I threw them in a drawer for a while until I felt like doing something with them. Today was that day. I love them! There's a bit of a reflection of the coffee cup on the coaster. 


This second picture shows you the coasters before and the designer cardstock I chose to cover them with. I really love this design on masculine cards too. As you can see I used some smaller pieces I had in my stash.


I turned the cardstock over and with a pencil traced around the coaster, cut them out and used this spray adhesive I had in my stash to adhere them. That's the back of my oil painting palette - it was handy.


Once I got the adhesive on I pressed the cardstock into place and made sure it was on there really well. Then after a few minutes I sanded the edges down. 


I made up some mod podge with the Glue-All I had on hand. It's about 2 glue to 1 water for ratio. 


Once that was all good and dry I used a spray gloss varnish over top. I know store bought mod podge is a sealant but I'm not sure how good the home made ones are and I'll be putting hot things with the ability to spill on them, so better safe than sorry. Besides, I had to varnish a painting so I did it all at one time. 

Here again are the completed coasters. 




You know, I have some tiles that are waiting for some dressing. They'd make great coasters with a bit of felt on the backs. Maybe one day soon ~ ~


Have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving!

Carmen


2 comments:

  1. What a great upcycle Carmen - I have just thrown out a group of grotty coasters :(.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!