Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’m always making something here in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Jun 30, 2019

Rice Bag Eye Pillows

Hello,

My sister in law called me the other day and said "remember those eye pads you made for me about 20 plus years ago?" I didn't...but when she had sent me a picture, things began to get a little clearer and I vaguely remembered. So I looked up a pattern and made some more. 

These are kind of great because you can put these in the microwave (1-3 minutes), or the freezer. I prefer to make the rice bag removable so that my outer shell can be of any material. I used 100% cotton for the rice bag. 

They don't look like much, but hey, they work great! Wonderful for sore eyes, headaches, or even for swollen or sore body parts. You can easily make these larger and in a different shape.


This photo is showing you that I used velcro to close the top of the eye mask so that the rice bag can be removed to be heated or cooled. Notice those clips? Expensive little things, but so worth buying the good ones! 
Here they are ready to go. The white rice bags still have to be filled with rice at this point! 

I think I used 1/2 to 2/3 cup of rice in each. You will have to decide how much you want to use. You can use flax and you can also add herbs or essential oils. 

If you'd like the pillow pattern I used, click on this link to Sew4Home. I would suggest that you leave the top of the pillow flush if you'd like to use velcro to open and close it. 

Thanks for stopping by! 

Blessings, 
Carmen

2 comments:

  1. Oh those look so useful Carmen - I had never heard of them - I have a wheat bag that I use a lot now it is winter here Down Under!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you could use wheat, but why not? My SIL said these seem to last longer (hot or cold) than the store bought ones.

      Delete

Thanks for the comments!