I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Oct 8, 2016

How to Get Out of a Rut

Whew! What a month it's been, but I feel so good.

We've been renovating my bedroom, ensuite and the stairs and hallway. We painted the ceilings, walls, and put in new carpeting and flooring. It looks so new and fresh and clean. I'm in heaven!

There's no way I'm putting everything that was in that room back. So I'm purging. I've gone through all our clothing and other belongings, and donated a ton of stuff to either missions or the Salvation Army. There are some personal things like photos to go through. That's going to be tough.

After losing my Mom, and helping my in-laws with their home, I've realized I just don't want to leave a lot of stuff for my kids to have to deal with. Not that I'm planning on dying anytime soon, but why wait?

I like a clean home, but I feel like I'm just cleaning stuff that I don't need, or storing stuff I don't use. How silly is that? Have any of you been doing that too? I think we just get into a rut. Well I'm getting out!

As you know, I love to do all sorts of crafts, so in keeping with my purge, I've decided that I need to pick a few crafts I love to do, and let the rest go. I know, shocking!  I can't believe I am actually following through.

With that in mind, I took part in a "De-Stash the Stash" Garage Sale and made some money. I didn't sell everything, but I got rid of a lot of the big stuff and made more room in my house. It feels so good. I'm not 'there' yet, but I'm getting closer.

So if you're in a rut in whatever areas of your life, do what I did! You'll love yourself for it. It feels so much better, easier, less demanding. We are so busy these days, but I wonder how much of that busyness we create ourselves. Even with things like our online presence! I want to simplify my life and spend time doing things I love and being with people I care about. I want to use my time wisely!

Finally, I have about 5 birthdays coming up, so I am making some cards, quick cards!

Below are 5x7 photo paper with distress ink blown with a straw. I spritzed it with shimmer mist to help it spread out a bit. I intend to stamp them but am still waiting for them to dry. I'm not sure how this will work out, but hopefully it'll work. A girl can play.


These last ones are two very quick cards I made using some Upsy Daisy Designer Cardstock. I still have to add a sentiment to the last one and complete the insides, but they're almost done. I may add a bit of glitter to them too...they look a bit dull to me. 


Very plain and simple cards, but still homemade!

Well, that's all I have for you today. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and for those in Canada, a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Blessings,
Carmen



13 comments:

  1. Well done for clearing stuff out . I have done it in the past and it does feel amazing.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good! Why hang on to stuff we don't use? 😊

      Delete
  2. I just spent a week with my parents helping my mom declutter several closets and cupboards (my dad wouldn't let me touch anything of his). I was so inspired that I came home and started working on a closet (one at a time, right). I do think the easiest way to declutter is to move everything out of the room/closet/area and then only put back what you truly will use or need. Good luck with your process. I'm weeding through a lot of "craft items" also. It's SO hard to get rid of items we THINK we MIGHT use one day LOL. I'll think of you as I work on my areas. I do find that I can "craft easier" when my room/area is decluttered. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Your dad sounds like my husband. It truly is hard, especially with craft supplies. I did find that some have a shelf life- like rub-ons, markers and tapes, etc. I had to throw a few things out, and other things went into the grandkids box of goodies. Helping parents clear out their stuff does give you a different perspective on things!! It does feel good to purge though! I'll be thinking of you too!!

      Delete
    2. Use it or lose it (applies to more than just craft items, right? haha). I agree with the new perspective; no one really "wants" our stuff, and they don't want the headache of having to go through it all. Remember to take before and after pics. Gives a greater sense of accomplishment.

      Delete
    3. Haha, use it or lose it - for sure!! I didn't take photos, but wish I had. The 'before' was pretty bad. Last room in the house to get done!!

      Delete
  3. Sounds as though you have been really busy - and appreciating what you have achieved. Well done
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's been a long time coming! Definitely happy about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine that you must be feeling so much better after the big clean out. I recently did this myself, and donated so many supplies. It really is liberating! Love your blown inks technique and need to give that a try. Can't wait to see how you stamp these up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is liberating! I've stamped them but I don't know how well they'll show up in a photo. I'll make them into cards and see how it goes! :)

      Delete
  6. Carmen, your cards and backgrounds are beautiful. Your purging activities sound quite freeing.

    I have started a long overdue activity myself. I started publishing my novel, a chapter at a time, as an audio book. You can listen to the prologue here: https://youtu.be/vfr9Xk1V0W0

    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is truly a special endeavour!! I have a few friends who are published and love to write. I met them while blogging. I've listened to part of your prologue and will finish today (always interruptions). So far it's captivating!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments!