I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Feb 5, 2016

Spinner Card Tutorial

Hey there!

I made a Penny Spinner card for my grandson, so I thought I'd take photos along the way and show you how I put it together. It's a bit busy, but he's only 2 and I'm trying to get his attention with the spinner feature. Lol...we live 16 hours away, so you know....

"A gramma's gotta do what a gramma's gotta do!"

I went with a car theme because he likes cars. I decided to go blue for the backgrounds because I always use black and I just wanted something different. 


Supplies:

Mini pop dots
Foam tape
Double sided tape
Tab punch
Foam Number
2 pennies

Recollections card base: 5" x 6 1/2 "
Layer 1, Blue cardstock: 6 1/4" x 4 3/4" 
Layer 2, Jillibean Soup: 6" x 4 1/2" 
Layer 3, Blue cardstock: 5 3/4" x 2 3/4" This is your spinner template base
Layer 4, Jillibean soup: 5 1/2" x 2 1/2" spinner card template


Attach layer 2 to layer 1 and tape to card base using double sided tape.

Make a template for the spinner base. Note that I marked off the center and then the sides so that the tab space is evenly placed on the cardstock. It's a good idea to make a template because then you don't have to worry about ruining your expensive designer cardstock.  Use the dimensions for layer 4 above.

Trace your tab opening on your designer cardstock using the template. (layer 4). 


Take your punch and punch out the left side, the right side and then the middle. 


Do the same for your blue cardstock base (layer 3). I just positioned layer 4 on top, taped it in place then punched it out carefully.

Attach two pennies together with a pop dot. (The extra weight will make the spinner spin better).

Next, place about 3 mini pop dots in the center of one penny. 

Place the penny unederneath the spinner portion of the card (showing through the tab opening, and with the pop dots facing up). The penny is not secured to anything - do not tape it onto the spinner card.


Okay, now put whatever you're spinning on top of the penny, making sure to center it as best as possible. I used one of these little cars. I have used a heart in the past, and I've seen owls and plenty of other cute things. I don't have the right sized circle punch so I had to fussy cut it. Sigh.


**So in the photo below is where I messed up the first time. This was the back of my template. 

**DO NOT DO THIS.**

What you have to do is put 2 layers of foam tape all the way around the perimeter of this rectangle. 

**NO SPACES**'

Your penny will not spin properly if you don't do this. Luckily the foam tape all came up without a problem. Your foam tape on the sides should be cut thin to leave space for the penny to roll back and forth without it getting stuck to the tape. 

Can you see the double layers? The area with the spaces kind of bent into the card and the penny spinner got caught up in those spaces. So make sure you put foam tape the length and width of the card all the way around. 


If you've done that, you can now attach the spinner onto the card. It looks kind of sad here. I had to play with it a bit and give it some tender loving care after all it had been through. 


Now comes the fun part. You get to embellish it anyway you like. I fussy cut a bunch of cars and trucks out of the designer cardstock and attached them in different spots with double sided tape.


LOOK! IT SPINS! 



I added a stamped sentiment, and cut out a tow truck towing a truck with a foam "2" on it. 


That's about it! I added a "stamp" to my envelope just for fun. I often decorate my envelopes. This was all I could muster today. Did I tell you I'm just getting over the flu? 


It's all packaged up in a box with Valentine Candy and a couple of craft aprons that I made up the other day for the little ones - "Upcycling Jeans into Craft Aprons." 

Yup, I'm hitting two birds with one stone! Three actually; two birthdays and Valentine's Day. I cut out a big heart with a sentiment on it, and put it on top of everything, 

It feels good to be ahead of the game for a change. 

Have a good week. I'll be posting Darren's card soon. 

Blessings,
Carmen

5 comments:

  1. OMGoodness, what a fun card for a little boy. He might just ignore his gifts and play only with his special birthday card.
    hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cute. Spinner cards are fun to make. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!