I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Oct 16, 2010

Fairyland Birthday and a Tutorial

One of my sons is in a relationship with a sweet young lady up in Ft. McMurray, Alberta. She has three children, who we think are pretty special!! At the end of October, one of her little girls is having a birthday, so I have made her a card. (The mail is pretty slow to Ft. McMurray, which is why it's ready now! Usually I'm a bit of a procrastinator. :)


If you hold the sides of this card and push in, then you can see the presents and the balloons:


If you pull the sides out, then you can't:


I hope she likes it! It's colorful and fun, just like her!

I thought I'd show you how I put this one together. So here goes:

Interactive Window Card Tutorial

1) Cut two pieces of designer cardstock 4.5" X 7"

2) Score both pieces at 1", 1.5", 5.5", and 6" 

3) Make your folds. Here is a photo to show how to do those. Looks like my cutter needs a fresh blade!

*Note that I've folded the bottom piece with the center down, and the top piece with the center up.

4) Cut a window out of your top piece. I just used a Memory Maker oval, but any shape would work. Just be sure you leave enough room at the top and bottom so that your card doesn't bow out when you push on the sides, and that your sides are wide enough to conceal your "surprises" a bit.

Here's mine:

You may want to keep the oval you've cut out, as it can go on the back piece as a background, although you could use any background.

5) To make the tabs, I used a piece of scrap cardstock and made it about  3/4" X 2". Then I cut out some presents and balloons from some matching cardstock and taped them to the end of each. (The right end of one and the left end of the other.)

Then I taped them down on both sides (the 1" pieces) of the bottom piece:


6) Play with the front piece a bit. I added some little pearl embellishments around the opening, and a bow. Then cut out some butterflies, which I taped on the edge of the top. Like this:




7) I cut out a rectangle from some designer cardstock, and folded a little flap at the top. Then added some tacky tape to the left, right and bottom to make this a little envelope on the back of the card.  This one is 3.5 X 3, scored at about a 1/4" and then snipped the corners.


8) Using tacky tape, add strips to the outer inch of each side of your bottom piece.


*I added a bit of ribbon around my oval so that it looked more finished.

9) Line up the front and back pieces and carefully tape together.


The designer cardstock I used was the Forever In Time Collection's "Birthday Whimsy" (SP340D). I bought it at the dollar store. I wish I'd bought more of it!

Well, that's it for today! I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend! Thanks for dropping in and see you again soon!  =D
 

Carmen

2 comments:

  1. So clever!! I'm still in awe of my own little card. That little girl is one lucky girl to receive one of your masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renee! You're so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!