I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Mar 2, 2010

Flower Fun Update

Hello!

I recently bought some tape measure ribbon at Michael's, and while I was crafting I made up these unique looking flowers. I would have preferred a vintage looking tape measure ribbon, but this was what I had and it was fun to play with anyway.

Here's my favorite one close up:



And here's a photo of the two together.



The materials I used were: tape measure ribbon, buttons, brads, some fleece and some burlap which I sealed so that it would not fray. I sewed the flowers and used some glue on the one with the button and brad to attach it to the ribbon. Sometimes it's just therapeutic to play a little. Maybe I'll throw a couple of these on my etsy just for fun. 

UPDATE!

I thought I'd take some advice offered and try these flowers with a bit of a vintage flair. I tried dying the ribbon, but it didn't look too good. I am right now soaking some in coffee to see if it'll look okay. In the meantime I gave in and used my vintage tape measure/ruler paper for one, and some vintage looking paper for the other. Here are the photos:



Here's a close up of the tape measure flower:



I thought I'd throw in a few of the buttons I have. A good friend gave these to me and I just love them!! 

Have a good day and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from you even if just to say hello! =)

UPDATE: Does anyone know who put out this paper with the extended rulers on it that I used in the flower, and that is part of the background? I have been trying to find more, but don't have the name of the manufacturer, and can't seem to find it anywhere (assuming it's discontinued). I would love to hear from you if you know who made it! Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. I see what you mean about going vintage with the tape itself, but I thought you did a great job with your choice of accents to make the pieces look "older".

    If you have a ton of time, you could probably cut your own paper strips, mark them and touch them up to look like actual tape. Nah..... I'm just saying that you're talented enough to pull that off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your flowers! One thing I have done to make my ribbon look vintage is to ink it with Tim Holtz distress ink or dye it with coffee or tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I thought about using the paper tape measure in the background, but I wanted to save it for another project. It's pretty old paper and I don't know if they make it anymore. LOL! Susan, I think I'll try that with the next ones I make. It would look better, I think! Thanks for the input!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute!! I got my card from the giveaway the other night. Look for a little feature on my blog tonight! Just cause I love it so darn much!!!
    http://www.thecountrychiccottage.net/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these! They are fantastic! I'm a new follower! Found you through The Country Chic Cottage :)
    Rebekah {All Thingz Related}

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!