I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Apr 27, 2023

A Little Stitching

Good morning,

What a wonderful day it’s been here in Kamloops, BC. Sunny skies, warm temperatures and a backyard full of concrete blocks. There’s music playing as ‘Bear’ is working hard putting up our new retaining walls. My husband finished off faceting his gemstone before heading out to help in the back. There’s a large box full of upholstery samples staring at me from my craft studio and my sewing machine is humming as I run through some fabric. It’s a busy day. 

The samples were a trade from my friend Tina, who needed a larger piece of upholstery fabric to do a couple of her chairs. We both paid very little for what we had and so it was more than a fair trade for me. I decided to make expandable utility bags. These are used as travel shoe bags, or can be used for knitting needles, to gift wine, or whatever really. I made them in a few different sizes. 

Now that I’m using more fabric in my artwork, I’m thinking of making more pouches as well. I really do go in cycles with my arts & crafts. Anyway, before I get too behind, I thought I’d post a few pictures of what I’ve done so far. 

Here are a couple of pouches.


This is a canvas bag with fabric backgrounds stitched on. Free motion quilting was used for the dandelions and the wording. I added some decorative machine stitching, a piece of lace and a little bit of hand stitching for interest. This bag was inspired by Stitches by Julia, but I made up my own pattern. 


This is another canvas pouch. I used applique and free motion stitching on this one. I made my own pattern. 


This is the back of the pouch. Some free motion stitching. I have someone in mind for this one. 

Now onto a more serious bag. These are made with upholstery samples. The first picture is of 15” medium size bags. I used #5 zippers on most so they’re very sturdy, and the fabric is sturdy as well.


The photo below is of 18” bags. They will fit pretty large shoes, and probably more, if need be. 


This next photo is to show you the 15” bag expanded. They’re about 3” on each side. It is not full by any means, but you get the idea. There’s a big box of upright thread in there.


So yes, I’ve been busy. I’m not sure what to charge for these, but they’d come in handy for several things. Plus they each have a sturdy handle made of webbing.

Well, that’s it for today. Hope you’re enjoying life a little more these days. There is always something to be thankful for, even when life seems difficult. Focus on the good things.

Thanks for stopping by,
Carmen

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful sewing Carmen - love your pouches, and those larger bags are wonderful and I could see them being used for many things.
    Pity I don't live closer, but any postage would outweigh the benefit from supporting you
    Blessing
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Postage is a pain for sure, but I’m just happy you comment! 😃

      Delete

Thanks for the comments!