I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Oct 26, 2013

Manamanah and the Snowths!

Hello!

I hope you're all having a good weekend!

Guess what I've been up to? Here's a peek of what I had to work with.


Did you guess?

Well, I've been making Halloween costumes for 2 of my grandkids. I didn't take pictures of the whole process because it was literally just a disaster to begin with!!


All that long haired pile was everywhere!! (lousy photo, I know) 
It kept coming off and coming off and coming off. 
That's my floor you see there. 
It was covered!
I was covered!! 
In fact, I was even eating it!!! (Although not intentionally). Blech!

There's a way to cut long haired pile, but the girl at Fabricland didn't do it that way. Tsk tsk.

Eventually I did get control of it and sewed it up-- it's behaving quite well now.

Then I had to make the mask/hat thingy...
I bought a little piggy mask at Value Village and tore the ears, nose and eyes off. That was a feat in itself! My husband had to help. I'd love to get my hands on some of the glue they used!

I covered the hat in a darker pink felt to match the costume a bit better. It had to be pieced and glued into place.

The horns were hand stitched and stuffed with polyfill. Then glued and stitched onto the mask.

The eyes are foam with felt glued to them. I drew up a pattern for the lashes and glued them on too. A pin held the eyes in place while glueing them onto the mask. Then they were stitched on for added stability.

I was at a loss as to what to do with the mouth. At first I was going to extend felt or foam past the neck and around so that her little face was in the mouth. UGH...WAY too much work!

In the end I came up with the idea to make a small mouth and put it at the end of the mask. It worked well if I do say so myself!
See? Not too shabby.

So here it is with the fun fur I sewed up using one of her jackets for a pattern.

The costume for my grandson was made with the green fur. We bought a clown wig for the orange hair, sunglasses, a clown nose and that's done.

My floor is now "FUN FUR FREE"...say that fast 3 times without messing up -- I DARE you!

My daughter in law will be putting shirts and pants or leggings under them to match and they'll be ready to go.

Have any of you figured out what they're going as? Hmmmm?

Well, here's the video that explains it if you didn't get the title of this post. I know some of you are old enough to remember this! :)

I'll post pictures of the kids wearing them after Halloween.

UPDATE: Well, here they are...Manah manah and a Snowth! :)


Have a good week!
Carmen

5 comments:

  1. Wow Carmen, this is awesome! I wish I could sew....my granddaughter who is 10 yrs. old wanted to be a "fuzzy animal" for Halloween but all the costumes for her age are so horrible....skimpy, revealing trash! We managed to put together a bunny costume for her so she is happy. Look forward to seeing the pictures of your grandkids in their costumes!
    Hugs, Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee! I just hand sewed them...mostly to get them to stay on. Nothing fancy! :) A bunny costume sounds wonderful! I agree that all the costume stuff out there is just garbage, not to mention poorly made. I'm thankful my DIL's aren't into skimpy or zombies or anything like that!!

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful costume. TFS.
    D~
    DesignsByDragonfly.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you're seeing this right now, can i buy the snowth costume from you if you still have it?!!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I asked the grandkids if they still had them, and they said yes, but they still use them for dressing up. I'm so Sorry!

      Delete

Thanks for the comments!