I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Aug 2, 2010

Fishing Trip and Driftwood Crafts

Hello there!

I'm back! I've been in Port Hardy at the tip of Vancouver Island.  I tagged along with my husband and son who did some ocean fishing. While they were gone I did some crafts, shopping and eating! It's such a little town, and yet it has a better Scrapbooking store than we do in Kamloops. (see my side bar if you're heading there)

On the way there (and back) we stopped at the Oyster Bay Resort in Campbell River, and stayed in one of these really cool places:

 Each cabin had a large hot tub, skylights, leather sofas, a kitchen, dining area, and a balcony with a BBQ (on the way back we had ourselves a Coho Salmon BBQ with potatoes n onions, corn on the cob, sliced cucumber and tomato, and cake for dessert! YUMMM!!)

Here's the view from the cabins:

After a little coaxing, my husband helped me over some huge boulders and onto the rocky/sandy beach on the other side of the road. There was tons of driftwood everywhere. See the boulders in the first one...that's just below the roadway:

With all that driftwood right nearby, it's no surprise that the locals would use it to make some cool crafts. We saw driftwood made into huge sculptures for sale along the road. I didn't take any pictures of those, but I did take a photo of these driftwood wall decorations hanging inside the cabins. One was from our stay on the way up, and the other on the way back home:

I think they're just adorable! Some people are SO talented.

We also stayed on the water in Port Hardy. Here's the view from our window at about 4:30 in the morning right after my husband left to go fishing.

Here's one taken at daylight. I was trying to take a photo of this float plane coming in...but see the one sitting on the dock? It came in and circled around a couple of times in the water while trying to dock-- heavy on one wing. You can see that it's sitting lopsided in the water. After a couple of days they fixed the problem and left.

Here's an eagle sitting on a stump at low tide. She really blends in with this environment. I'm not sure what kind of eagle she is as there are a few different species.

Well, I think I'll end this post since it's rather long already. In the next couple of days I'll post some of the kids cards I made while I was there. We just had such an enjoyable time that I wanted to share it with you!

You know, we live in Kamloops, BC...it's semi-arid. How did someone who loves ocean fishing so much, and someone who loves the water end up in the dessert? Oh yeah...a job!!  ; )

Thanks for visiting!!

PS: We brought home a few nice sized Coho Salmon and Spring Salmon. There's nothing like freshly caught salmon for dinner!

Carmen

3 comments:

Thanks for the comments!