Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’m always making something here in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Dec 19, 2009

Trimming the Soap for Christmas

Hello Everyone,

The soap has cured, so I thought I'd share my final step with you. Once the soap has cured, there is sometimes a residue on it from the lye. This needs to be trimmed off...like so:

You can see the white residue on it in the picture above. It's not that it's necessarily harmful, and you can just wash it off, but it doesn't look that nice so I remove it.

Then I make up some labels. A few years ago I decided to call my product "Funky Moon Soaps." Don't ask me why...it just appealed to me at the time.

So here it is with the labels on. This year I made "Christmas Brick" (Beer Soap), "Tropical Rain" (really nice mild scent), and "Mmmm...Neroli!" I love Neroli! I sell my soap locally to some friends and family. I'd rather use them myself, but people do ask for them.



You're probably wondering what I did with the leftover soap trimmings. No, I don't throw them out. (After all that work? What'r you thinking? Gasp!) I wash the white stuff off and roll them into soap balls, put them in a dish and display them. They make the washroom smell so nice, and they can be used for handwashing.


So there you have it. If you want the recipes for the basic soap, email me and I'll be happy to send them to you.

(Disclaimer: Please be smart about it and learn how to make soap properly first! There are lots of good sites online...in fact, I'll email those along with the recipes. Cold process soap making is a chemical process that can be harmful if done incorrectly, and therefore I am not responsible for what you do with this information, should you request it.)

Well, have a Merry Christmas Everyone! Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your interest!


2 comments:

  1. I never thought soap could be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! What a fantastic gift. I love handmade soaps but they look like so much work! One year I made "bath bombs" for everyone on my list and it was disastrous. I'm not brave enough to take on any more homemade bath products after that experience :). I'd gladly receive one as a gift though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!