I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Apr 22, 2010

Art Journal

Lately I've been watching Marion from A Piece Of Craft on Prima's Ustream. I don't always make it to the live shows, but I have been going and watching them after the fact. Recently she showed us how to make an Art Journal, and I've been wanting to make one ever since. Especially since I had a couple of sheets of the Prima Paintables that I'd picked up while on holidays last summer.

 

Here's a little look at the first part of the process. I painted the chipboard pieces with black acrylic paint and punched some holes for the lacing.

 

For the inside of the book I cut out 12 X 6 inch paper and folded it together. I think there are about 4 pieces in each bundle, which would make 8 pages in each bundle, 48 in total.

I sprayed one side of the two larger pieces of chipboard, and two pieces of the paintables with spray adhesive, then stuck them together to make the front and back of the Journal.I was not generous enough as I've noticed that the front has buckled a little bit.  :( 

I'll know better for next time. Once that was done, I began lacing the front and back to the spine with thin black ribbon.

 

I bound the bundles of papers to the spine with more of the thin black ribbon. 

Then the fun began!! I pulled out my glimmer mist, smooch, ink, stamps, flourishes, and Prima flowers.


There are some Prima paintable pages here and there in the book. I have painted some of them with the glimmer mist and a paintbrush. I still have more to do, but I'll do them over time.



Pretty sparkles. :))









If you ask me, there can never be enough glimmer mist!



Think I'll find a saying to put in this space...



Again, this has all been glimmer misted. It looks so nice in real life!



I used manila folders for some of the pages. This was because I wanted something strong enough to put a pocket on that could hold some of my templates. Here is one I made. Some of them will be larger than this.

The rest of the pages are just normal paper for writing instructions and ideas on.



The front of the book is not quite complete yet. I want to put a wide ribbon on the spine tying the ribbon from the bundled pages together to tighten them a bit, and for looks. It'll be a nice big bow!! The glimmer mist doesn't show up at all in this photo. A pity, really...



I used chipboard letters for the title which I painted and then covered them in UTEE. I let it dry before using the heating gun on them. This gives a bumpy texture. This is one of the techniques I picked up from Marion Smith at A Piece of Craft. I really love this effect.

For those of you who are interested in watching a live show, there are a few different ones during the week, but Marion is on Thursday nights at 6:30 p.m. PacificTime.

Well, that was a bit of a long post, but I hope you enjoyed it. 

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate all of my followers so much!! Have a great day!!

3 comments:

  1. that is really cool.

    I just got some glimmer mist - do you just dip a paint brush into the bottle and spread it on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Totally beautiful. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!