Hi, my name is Carmen. Welcome to Beyond The Fringe!

I love sewing, crocheting, paper crafts, drawing, doodling and more. I also like to create digital stamps and sometimes offer vintage graphics, many for free. I am a mom and a grandmother of 8 adorable grandkids whom I love to make things for.

Check out my Etsy Digi Shop!

Please see my Digital Stamps page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps. My Freebies page has a list of the freebies on this blog.

Jan 10, 2016

Blogger Offers an 'Improved' Experience.

Hey there! 

Apparently there have been some policy changes afoot in Blogger. How this is helpful to me as a Blogger, or you as a follower, is beyond me. Their reasons for the change are weak, in my opinion. Anyway, here it is in all its glory. 

In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs. (So, 2 steps instead of 1 - how is that streamlined? OoOh, it's just streamlined for Blogger.)


As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count. (how is this helpful to us?)


We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow. (Yes, we all love more mail and more work - tic).

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers. (Really? How so?)


Posted by Michael Goddard, Software Engineer


Sorry for the attitude, but I am disappointed. I'm not sure what my next step will be, but I do feel as if they are complicating things. So far I've only lost 4 followers, but who knows what the next week will bring? Anyway, they wanted me to let you know, so there it is. 

Carmen

4 comments:

  1. I follow with Feeder so it didn't affect me but then you don't know I'm a follower with that so I signed up with my Google account. Changes are never easy! Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's sweet! I struggle with online changes because it's always a learning curve. Thanks for the encouragement though! I appreciate it!! :)

      Delete
  2. I have a google account so I will still be with your Carmen

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it affects me, but I am not thrilled with any change to do with how I'm used to doing something--lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!