Hi, my name is Carmen. Welcome to Beyond The Fringe!

I love sewing, crocheting, paper crafts, drawing, doodling and more. I also like to create digital stamps and sometimes offer vintage graphics, many for free. I am a mom and a grandmother of 8 adorable grandkids whom I love to make things for.

Check out my Etsy Digi Shop!

Please see my Digital Stamps page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps. My Freebies page has a list of the freebies on this blog.

Feb 20, 2012

Saying Good Bye to Google Friend Connect!!

Hello! This is an important message. Please read! This post will stay on top until Feb. 29th 2012, please scroll down for new posts.

I've just been alerted to the fact that "Google Friend Connect" will be changing in March! A few months ago Google quietly announced they would discontinue Google Friend Connect for non-Blogger Blogs. Nice.

Why are they doing this?
Google is encouraging bloggers to create new Google + pages in lieu of their old Google Friend Connect account. This means bloggers will have to pour time and energy promoting a new tool & service to their followers, or find them a different way to follow.

What does this mean to you?
Anyone who follows me using Google Friend Connect that does not have a "Blogger" Blog, will no longer be able to follow this blog! Google will just drop you! :(
This happens March 1, 2012!! 

What can you do?

1) I'm checking into Linky Followers, Simply Linked and Mr Linky's Magical Widgets. Once I find one that will work, you'll be able to follow me through one of these widgets.

2) You can follow me on NetworkedBlogs on Facebook.

3) You can Subscribe to this Blog in the sidebar, which means you will get my new posts by email.

4) If you have a Blog, you can also grab my button and place it on the sidebar of your blog. It's linked up to this blog.

I do not currently have a Twitter Account or Pinterest account because I don't want to spend my life on the computer...but maybe I'll consider them now. I'll keep you posted.

Are you a Blogger?
Like you, I will have to go through the accounts I'm following and follow all the non-Blogger accounts in a different way.

Someone out there sure wants to make a lot of unnecessary work for us!

My apologies to all of you! Please find a different way to follow (if you are a non-Blogger), if you'd like to keep getting my freebies!

A link to this post will be kept on all my posts until February 28th, 2012.

Blessings!
Carmen

11 comments:

  1. There's a lot of confusion about this ... thanks for clearing up some of the issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not have a blog but I am currently following you via Google Reader. Thanks for the heads up and for all of the wonderful stamps, pins, St. Pat's day postings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post! I have posted similar on mine too... I have kept my Google follower up...

    Another option for bloggers & non-bloggers is the linky tool which is free to put onto your blog too... :)
    www.linkyfollowers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I'll check it out! :)

      Delete
  4. I use Google when I reply to your posts and I don't know if this is the same as Google friend? I do not have facebook and never will nor do I have pinterest acct or a blog.

    I think this is going to hurt a lot of blogger sites.

    I don't subscribe to all the blogs that I like as I just can't keep up with that amount of e-mails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lora, I completely understand. You're right, it will hurt a lot of blogger sites! I am in the process of trying to sign on with Linky Followers, which is like Google Friend and will be displayed in the sidebar. Many bloggers are doing that now. That may work better for you if you want to follow without getting a ton of emails! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With Linky Followers, will it still show up in google reader? That is one thing I am really not sure of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, here is a Blogsite that explains how it will work. http://studiojru.com/2012/02/15/bye-google-friend-connect-hello-linky-followers/
      I am having some issues with Linky Followers because of a glitch while signing up...hope to have it cleared up soon!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your digi stamps with us and also your beautiful work... I am new at this so hopefully I will be brave enough to post my photos soon. Thanx again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carmen, thanks for letting us know about this. Scurrying to make changes on my blog. I am using a lot of your verbage in my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Krista...and that's just fine! :)

      Delete

Thanks for the comments!