I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Apr 26, 2017

Want to Use Up Those Fabric Scraps?

Hello!

So what have you all been up to lately? Doing any projects of your own? I found something new to try the other day!

I guess these have been around for a while, but I just came across them recently and decided to give them a try. I am not new to quilting, having made a few quilts in the past. It's just not something I find fun on a large scale. However, this was fun! A little peek....


Now the big reveal...lol


If you're still wondering what it is - - here's the back


These are super simple to make and are a bit unique, which I love. Here's a picture tutorial of some of the steps. 

I cut out a piece of scrap fabric a bit larger than 4 X 6 inches. Then I cut a piece of quilt batting and a piece of interfacing at 4 X 6 inches. I used the thick interfacing you can use for purses. It's got a pliable but firm texture and is perfect for this. I think Peltex or Timtex would work.


The interfacing is the base layer of the postcard, the batting goes on top and then the fabric.

*The image below shows it from the back side. So the fabric is face down. (naturally that's the way I decided to photograph it, just to confuse you).


I just pinned it together in a couple of spots to hold it in place and began sewing by following the lines in the pattern. Once I was done stitching, I turned it upside down and cut off the excess fabric. Here it is right side up.


At this point you can either put a tight zigzag stitch around the outside of the postcard, or put a fabric border around it. Some people stitch around the card first - I don't think there's a wrong way to do it.

I used a strip of fabric around the whole postcard. 

It's about an inch and a half wide to start, then folded in half (to 3/4") and then I turned one half under once again (3/8") and pressed it well. Then I stitched it all in place.


The postcard back template was a printable that I found on the net. It was actually a bit bigger than 4 X 6, but it was easy to cut down. 


I used embellishment tape to put it in place, but honestly, it's not really the best option. You could write on fabric with a fabric pen and create your own back and just stitch it on.

Some people send these as a postcard, but if I were sending it, I would opt to use an envelope. You should also be mindful of how thick you make it if it's going in the mail. 

I'll add mine to a gift as a unique gift card. I'll leave it blank so they can regift it to someone. 

It's like a gift within a gift. :) 

I will be trying some with patchwork quilting on them for something a little different. Here's a few that others have made:








Pet on Flicker: 




Well, it looks like the options are many! Whether you want to make simple fabric cards or spend a little more time on them, they would be so appreciated! Have some fun and try a few today! 

Blessings,
Carmen

2 comments:

  1. What a terrific idea-must get some of those made for sure.

    Thanks for sharing

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!